The Serenity Prayer is a short, powerful prayer that asks for God’s help in accepting the things we cannot change, having the courage to change the things we can, and finding the wisdom to know the difference.
The prayer is widely used by Alcoholics Anonymous and other twelve-step programs as a way to encourage humility, acceptance, and inner strength. In times of hardship or uncertainty, the words of the Serenity Prayer can provide comfort and hope. For many people, the prayer is a reminder that even when we feel powerless, we always have the ability to choose our attitude and our response.
Ultimately, the Serenity Prayer is a reminder that peace of mind comes from aligning our will with God’s.
Accept the Things I Cannot Change Prayer
Life is full of hardships and challenges. We all go through difficult times that we wish we could change, but unfortunately, we can’t. This is where the power of prayer comes in.
When we pray for strength to accept the things we cannot change, it allows us to let go of the anger, bitterness, and resentment that can consume our lives.
A prayer is a powerful tool that helps us to connect with a Higher Power and gain perspective on the things that are happening in our lives.
If you are struggling with accepting something you cannot change, please say this prayer for guidance and support.
What is the Serenity Prayer?
The Serenity Prayer is a short prayer that is commonly recited by people who are struggling with addiction or other difficult life circumstances. The prayer asks for the strength to change what can be changed, the courage to accept what cannot be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference.
The prayer also asks for serenity, or peace of mind, in the face of adversity. The exact origins of the Serenity Prayer are unknown, but it is believed to have been first used by the early 20th-century theologian Reinhold Niebuhr.
Today, the Serenity Prayer is widely used by Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-step programs as a way to encourage members to stay focused on their recovery. The prayer has also been adopted by many people who are not in recovery but who find comfort in its words.
Who Is the Author of the Serenity Prayer?
The Serenity Prayer is one of the most famous prayers in the world, but its authorship is a matter of dispute. The prayer is most commonly associated with the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr, who popularized it in the early 1940s.
However, there is evidence that the prayer was actually written by an anonymous individual several years earlier. The first known version of the prayer appeared in a 1931 edition of the literary magazine
The Atlantic Monthly. In the article, the author noted that the prayer had been circulating among Quakers and other groups for several years. Given its widespread use, before Niebuhr popularized it, it seems likely that the prayer was written by someone other than him.
Nevertheless, Niebuhr’s association with the prayer has ensured that his name will be forever linked with it.
What are the Words to the Serenity Prayer?
The full text of the Serenity Prayer is as follows:
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen.”
Who was St Francis of Assisi?
St. Francis of Assisi was a 13th-century Italian friar and preacher who founded the Franciscan religious order. He is known for his love of nature and animals, as well as his work with the poor and sick.
Born into a wealthy family, Francis renounced his wealth and devoted his life to serving God. He toured Italy preaching Christianity and founded the Franciscan order in 1209. The order was based on poverty, chastity, and obedience, and its members were known as “little brothers” or “friars.”
Francis was also known for his love of animals and nature, which was inspired by his deep respect for all of God’s creations.
He is often portrayed in art with a bird perched on his shoulder, and he is the patron saint of animals and ecology. St. Francis of Assisi died in 1226 at the age of 44, and he was canonized two years later. Today, he is one of the most popular saints in the Catholic Church.
Serenity Prayer Principles in the Bible
The Biblical principles that are contained in the prayer or accepting things I cannot change are; Romans 12:12, “Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;” Philippian
- Wisdom – The ability to judge which changes are worth making and which ones aren’t is a result of wisdom. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, said in Ecclesiastes that there is “a time to every purpose under the heaven.” (Ecclesiastes Courage – It takes courage to make changes, even good ones. The Bible says, “Be strong and of a good courage” (Joshua The Serenity Prayer has become one of the most popular prayers in the world because it encapsulates many of the principles that we see throughout the Bible. Whether you’re struggling with addiction or simply trying to navigate life’s challenges, the words of this prayer can offer comfort and hope. If you’re searching for
- Peace – The prayer asks for the “serenity to accept the things I cannot change.” This is a reference to the peace that comes from surrendering our will to God. When we try to control everything, we only end up causing ourselves anxiety and stress. But when we let go and let God handle things, we can find true peace. The Serenity Prayer is a powerful reminder that we need to focus on the things that we can change and have faith that God will take care of the rest. If you’re struggling with something in your life, say this prayer and trust that God will give you the strength and wisdom to overcome it. Prayer for Acceptance O Lord, there are many things in my
- Contentment – The prayer also asks for the “wisdom to know the difference” between the things we can and cannot change. This is an important principle of contentment. We can’t be content if we’re constantly trying to change things that are out of our control. Learning to accept the things we can’t change is a key part of finding contentment in life.
The Serenity Prayer in Alcoholics Anonymous
The prayer of acceptance is used in AA to help to recover alcoholics come to terms with the things they cannot change. This includes their addiction, as well as the negative consequences that have resulted from it.
The prayer is meant to help people focus on the present moment and let go of the past. It’s also a reminder that God is in control and that recovery is possible.If you’re struggling with alcoholism, say this prayer and trust that God will give you the strength to overcome your addiction.
“Prayer for Acceptance O Lord, there are many things in my life that I cannot change. Help me to accept them with grace and wisdom. Give me the courage to make the changes I can make, and trust that You will take care of the rest. Amen.”
What is the History of AA?
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial, apolitical, and available almost everywhere.
There are no age or education requirements. Membership is open to anyone who wants to do something about their drinking problem. AA was founded in 1935 by Bill W., a New York stockbroker, and Dr. Bob S., an Ohio physician. Both men were struggling with alcoholism and found that by helping others achieve sobriety, they stayed sober themselves.
Today, AA has more than 2 million members in over 180 countries worldwide. The organization is based on the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, which emphasize self-examination, confession, and restitution as the means of recovery from alcoholism.
The 12 traditions of AA provide guidelines for the organization’s overall operation and unity. The primary purpose of AA is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.
The serenity prayer is used by 12 Step Recovery Programs
In AA The twelve steps are these thoughts.
- We admitted we were powerless over our addiction and that our lives had become unmanageable
- Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him,
- Praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory
What is the Book of Prayers?
The Book of Prayers is a compilation of prayers and devotions from around the world. It includes prayers for every occasion, from morning and evening prayers to blessings for special occasions.
The Book of Prayers is an invaluable resource for anyone who wants to deepen their relationship with God. In addition to traditional prayers, the book also includes meditations, Psalms, and hymns.
Whether you are looking for guidance in your personal life or want to find new ways to connect with God, the Book of Prayers is a great place to start.
Sermon on the Mount
Do Not Worry
Jesus says in Matthew 6: 25-31, “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow.
They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?
Our Lives are in the Hand of God
Jesus also taught that we should;
- Not Worry
- Be Content
- Trust in God’s Provision
Final Thoughts – Accept the Things I Cannot Change Prayer
A powerful characteristic of children of God is that they view life differently than the rest of the world. Through the lens of scripture, they see that this world is not their home and that ultimately God is in control.
This perspective gives them peace that surpasses all understanding and allows them to live worry-free lives. The next time you find yourself stressed out about something beyond your control, remember that God has everything under His control and He will work everything out for your good.
God Bless Greg